Welcome, Operational Excellence Starts Here
Welcome, Operational Excellence Starts Here
MEA is a trade association started by distribution utilities over 100 years ago. Today, energy delivery companies benefit as members by pooling expertise, sharing ideas, and developing solutions for the industry.
MEA furthers operational excellence in energy delivery by providing resources that continually improve members’ proficiency, efficiency, and safety. Programs include EnergyU, Utility Leadership Academy, role-specific events, the Gas Operations Summit, National GAS Rodeo, Energetic Women, and more!
Gary Gibson, chair of MEA's Board of Directors welcomes you.
*YouTube Video, best viewed in full screen.
MEA is about connecting with energy delivery peers, technology suppliers, and industry-experts.
Our summits, roundtables, regional roundtables, and senior executive summits are low cost means of staying connected and learning about leading edge successes.
MEA's Gas Operations Technical & Leadership Summit, held in Rochester, MN, focuses on front-line operations personnel: gas crews, foreman, supervisors, managers, and directors. Our classroom sessions cover a wide variety of topics selected by industry-led committees of energy operations personnel. Classroom presenters are industry-experts selected for their experience and knowledge. The 2017 Gas Operations Technical & Leadership Summit takes place August 7-10. See more upcoming events.
MEA is about learning and sharing great ideas.
The “Successful Practices” taken from MEA events and publications pay for themselves many times over. Through MEA, your employees learn important safety concepts and practices, operational improvements and efficiencies and new technologies and procedures. More than 600 successful practices are currently available.
MEA members have access to our eNewsletters: eConnection, Energy Delivery News & Solutions, Regulatory Report, and the Utility Leadership Update. Click here to subscribe.
MEA is the leader in Operator Qualifications (OQ) training, known for providing industry consensus content used to achieve OQ compliance by over 900 utilities and contractors today.
MEA provides members and subscribers with over 500 online and classroom courses via our online school, EnergyU. Member utilities may play our courses at no additional cost on their LMS, or use ours for a small per-person license fee. Operational courses include knowledge tests and field examinations, including courses for natural gas and liquids that are used by members and subscribers for Operator Qualification (OQ), and new courses for electric lineworkers, underground workers and substation workers deployed by ElectricU. Finally, we offer a Leadership Academy for supervisors and leaders at all levels.
Our nine most popular libraries include:
- 192 Natural Gas Library (73 courses) – For all aspects of natural gas worker Operator Qualification. MEA’s EnergyU is the leading OQ training and qualification system in the US, used by over 1,000 companies.
- 195 Liquids Pipeline Library (54 courses) - For all aspects of liquids pipeline Operator Qualification, the 195 Liquids library is used by transmission pipeline companies nationwide.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) B31Q Library (149 courses) – While not yet incorporated by DOT reference, B31Q provides excellent gas and liquids training and testing for gas and liquids workers.
- Electric Distribution Library (138 courses) – The ElectricU library is designed for distribution lineworkers, underground workers and substation workers, both apprentice and journeyman.
- MakeSafe Library (5 scenarios) – MEA’s immersive “Virtual Reality” training system for gas leak investigation. Users practice online similar to a high-quality video game before attempting a real world investigation.
- Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) Library (16 courses) – Sixteen hours of qualify OSHA training material.
- Leadership Library (44 courses) - see below for more information.
- Understanding Gas and Electric (UGE), Basic Training Library (17 courses) – A broad library, with courses on non-OQ aspects of utility work, including in-home jobs like pilot lights, venting. Also control room management fatigue prevention and prevention of utility cross-bores.
MEA content had been developed, reviewed and approved by oversight committees by topic of dozens of member experts – “SMEs” - who volunteer their time from over 100 large and small utilities, – so our material isn’t just ‘one person’s opinion.’ Of course, consensus doesn’t always happen, when we encounter several acceptable methods to complete a covered task we simply provide training on all of them, which allows our OQ users to choose their particular path.
EnergyU is highly customizable. Training managers may insert their company-specific or job-specific materials as an addition to a course, or otherwise customize as they require.
Teams offer valuable networking opportunities that can help strengthen and build your company and your employee's leadership skills. Joining a team doesn’t require a set commitment of time. Members can participate in a variety of ways and overwhelmingly find the experience of participation to be valuable and worthwhile. Learn more.
Energetic Women is a national program formed through MEA, designed to prepare women within the energy industry for leadership roles in operations and engineering.
Programming consists of a series of webinars each quarter, mentorships, a regular newsletter and a conference held at a new location each year. Attendance has grown markedly since the beginning, and 2016 was no exception: we had 435 attendees. Keynote speakers are more inspiring and “energizing” than the last, setting the bar for exceptional roundtables and guided discussions. Many attendees remarked after June’s conference in Cincinnati that it was great to see companies send groups of women.
Being in a room with other women just like you makes you feel like you have control and purpose.
Participant, 2016 Energetic Women Conference
- We are a national professional and leadership development resource for the energy delivery industry.
- We work to increase the pool of promotable women in energy operations and engineering.
- We promote, support, connect and recognize those who believe in developing high potential leaders to create a sustainable future, increase diversity at the top levels, and thereby increase profits for energy industry organizations.
- We welcome all professionals in the industry to participate.
MEA's Utility Leadership Academy (ULA) offers readily available tools for the growth and benefit of your employees and business. Current ULA programs include online leadership courses, complimentary webinars, Field Leader Training events, Professional Development Certificate Program and the Leadership Boot Camp.ULA Online Course Options
Harvard ManageMentor ® is the leading online learning and performance support resource that delivers critical management skills to you when and where you need it, so that you remain productive while learning. Harvard ManageMentor ® incorporates proven practices that reinforce learning and build skills, addressing a broad range of issues faced by managers every day.
A single user license gives you access to 44 separate courses addressing fundamental business topics including Business Essentials, Communication Skills, Personal Development, Strategy Essentials, Working with Teams, and Working with Individuals. The courses are divided into three focus areas: managing yourself, managing others and managing the business.
Program Specifics | Detailed Curricula Catalog
Field Leader Training
Our field leader training gives your line team leaders practical, hands-on experience in how to effectively lead their crews with this energy industry focused, two-day course. Perfect for Foremen, Crew Leaders, Leads, Craft, and Shift Supervisors.
This training can be hosted at your company to train just your Field Leaders or with MEA for multiple company participation.
*YouTube Video, best viewed in full screen.
Leadership Boot Camps
The Utility Leadership Academy’s (ULA) Leadership Boot Camp provides opportunities for leaders to dig deeper into their personal leadership skills. The boot camp is focused on leading both self and others, by cultivating an awareness and application of key personal assets towards effective leadership skills.
What is it: Virtual (Online) Boot Camp
Topic focus: Leading Self, Leading Others
Time frame: 3 months, in the Spring and Fall
Time commitment: 60 - 90 minutes per week (approximately)
This personalized program incorporates hard copy, online and live webinar events (also recorded in case participants cannot attend) including over 45 online leadership courses from Harvard ManageMentor and MEA, four books & three assessments, utility specific content, up to 1.2 Continuing Education Credits and more!
MEA is a member-driven consortium of energy delivery and associate member organizations that connects their electric and gas personnel to pursue operational excellence, enhancing customer and employee safety, productivity, and positive customer relations.
Member engagement across your entire organization is a critical part of our mission at MEA. We take pride in helping our members solve their current and emerging workforce development challenges. As a member of MEA, elevating your member experience is at the core of what drives value into your membership investment:
- People - As a Member-driven organization, you engage with others who care about the Energy Industry and share their best practices.
- Experience – solving common Member learning opportunities for over 110 years.
- Innovation – our online eLearning technical courses & leadership development programs lead the nation in meeting your emerging workforce development needs.
- Support – we have the right subject matter experts to guide you through the entire process of developing and implementing your learning solution with ongoing user & technical support.
- Results – we listen; collaborate to develop the right learning solution for your specific business need and provide you with the tools to track and report your measurable results.
We hope you found this MEA snapshot useful. We are available at your convenience for an in-person meeting to discuss how MEA solutions might help you and your organization. Please call or email if you have questions regarded the information we have assembled.Thank you for your membership and ongoing support in MEA
Marketing Vice President
(651) 289-9600 x101